What Should I Report?

Depending on the circumstances of the event that occurred and the product or products you have purchased coverage for, you may be required to contact MPIE to report (trigger coverage) on these following types of events:

Professional Liability Events

  • Receipt of notice regarding legal action (notice of intent, subpoena)
  • Adverse or unexpected complication related to medical care or treatment
  • Patient or family dissatisfaction
  • Notification of a patient complaint
  • Requests for records

General Liability Events

  • Patient, visitor, employee and volunteer—injured on your property or related to your premises (such as slip, trip and fall accidents)
  • Property loss or damage incurred by a patient, visitor, employee or volunteer while on your premises

General liability events should often also be reported to your property manager.